Monday, November 30, 2009

What High School Classes Should I Be Taking If I Cannot Make Up my Mind On What Career I Want?

There is not one carrer I can say I want, which according to my teachers and my parents is imparative even though I am only in the 9th grade.





The problem I am having is I cannot find a career that seems to completly satisfy me. The ones I like are:





Veternarian or Vet Tech


Ultrasound Technologist


Writer


Zookeeper


Lawyer


Kennel Attendant


Chef





They are telling me to make a decision so I can pick my classes. Can I just pick classes that fit into all of the categories?





I want to take:





Culinary Skills


Medical Terminology/CPR-First Aid


Animal Science/Sm. Animal Tech


Speech


Journalism


All the Math, Science, and English I can take





Should I take:





Microbiology/Intro to Health Careers


Intro to Nursing/Human Growth





HOSA- The Health Occupational Students of America Club





Any info you can give me on these careers or what to take to make things eaiser is much appreciated.





Thanks.What High School Classes Should I Be Taking If I Cannot Make Up my Mind On What Career I Want?
Can never go wrong with math and these:


Culinary Skills


Medical Terminology/CPR-First Aid


Animal Science/Sm. Animal Tech


Speech


Journalism


All the Math, Science, andWhat High School Classes Should I Be Taking If I Cannot Make Up my Mind On What Career I Want?
Math, Science, and computer training are the big 3 if you want to do well in college....any degree field.
All of those careers you have listed require college, so take college prep classes. Focus on math, science, English, and foreign language and possibly art.
Mirco -will also help in you in culinary skills - bread yeasts and other products used are forms of micro-bacteria as well and understanding the hygiene side of the business - math and witing - journalism - as it will help develop a different sort of wrign skills and helps with understanding research - which you will need in any college or university - speech as well - its a key communication skill in any job - CPR - good life skill - medical terminology is good if you want to do volunteer work in a health care setting -which may help you decide on what you may or may not want to persue as a career in the future
Holy crap. Tell them to chill out. Unless you have an inclination to go into engineering, or med school what you choose when you are in 9th grade will not have any impact on your future career. Your life your decisions. You have enough stress tell them to stop heaping on more! High School is when you are trying to figure out what you want. Take a class in everything. You don;t need to decide anything until Junior year and again only if your planning on going into something very specialized. It wil come to you. Biology is a good place to start for any medical profession(even Vet). GL!
Don't panic - just because other people want to put you in a box, don't let them.





The only job on your list that might require a decision earlier on would be veterinarian. Everything else comes later. Take the basic math and science courses, especially science. See how you like them - several of your choices are science related. If you like the study and do well, see about Advanced Placement - because you will be looking at schools that focus in those areas. Competition to be a vet is tougher than to be a medical doctor.





English, speech and writing courses are important no matter what you go into - if you cannot express yourself well in writing and in person, you put yourself at a severe disadvantage. Stay away from Nursing courses at this level - they are pretty much useless. Ditto Medical Terminology - not much there in the way of content. Culinary skills? Seems a wasted course if you're looking at higher education.





Courses you take now can influence colleges you can apply to. But more important is to do well in all your courses - even if you take one and find you really don't like it, continue to work hard and do well. You may never have to take another one again - but this one will be on your record.





No one should expect you to plan your whole career in 9th grade. Be open to surprises. I didn't pick my career until I was in my 30's - but I had a wonderful time getting to that point.
May be you can talk to your career advicer in the school? Since most of your interests are related to healthcare, you can emphasis on science areas, and some business courses.
  • emo hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    skin rash